If you are anything like the rest of the population you have noticed that bills and the cost of goods keeps going up, but wages never seem to go up as much. We hear you. So here is 15 sure fire things you can adjust in your life to help yourself have $1000 in a year. The key, is to take the money you save and set it aside, otherwise you will never see it reach your $1000 goal.
- Pay off your credit card! Interest on credit cards is high and eats up lots of your extra cash.
- Choose to dine in once a month more than you do now.
- Brown bag it. (Taking a lunch from home is usually half as expensive)
- Avoid unnecessary insurance (term insurance vs whole life)
- Make sure you have a high interest savings account. (usually a couple % higher)
- Lower your bank fees (are you using all the features your paying for? If not, switch to a lower fee account where your needs are still met)
- Update your cell phone plan. Are you using all the features your paying for? Or maybe they offer a better plan for cheaper now. Check into it and save.
- Staycation! Families report a huge savings when they choose a staycation over a vacation. More savings equals more in your bank account.
- Grow a garden. Growing your own veggies and herbs is a great way to keep some extra cash in your wallet when out grocery shopping.
- Diapers. This may not be everyone’s stage of life, but if it is, there is a huge saving of using cloth diapers versus disposable diapers.
- Buy used. Need to purchase something? Try kijiji, ebay, marketplace or your local auction hall.
- Make a shopping meal plan and shopping list. It is very easy to buy things you don’t need when grocery shopping. Make a plan.
- Sell some stuff. Do you have a bunch of stuff sitting around that you done use? Try selling it on kijiji, ebay, marketplace or at your local auction hall. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure after all.
- Shop out of season. Buying clothes, shoes, boots and more during the off season can save you hundreds of dollars.
- Shop in season. Do you love your fruits and veggies? Make sure to be eating them in season. Buying out of season can cost up to three times as much on certain fruits and veggies.
Well, there it is. 15 things you can try and do to help yourself save $1000 in a year. Some things may seem like big changes, some may be things you do now, but wherever you are at in life being smart about your money and where it is going is always good sense.